By the end of the 1950’s, PP Møbler has established itself in Denmark as a serious and innovative workshop, and in the 1960’s they manage to start a cooperation with the Danish architect, Hans J. Wegner.
Together they develop the prototype for the Ox-chair, which today is manufactured by Erik Jørgensen’s Møbelfabrik A/S. The following years, from 1962 to 1968, the cooperation continues, creating many exciting prototypes, which go into production at other workshops and factories, mainly at Getama and AP Stolen.
Hans Jørgensen Wegner was born 2nd of April 1914 in Tønder, a small town in Southern Jutland, Denmark. Typical of the period, Tønder was a town rich in traditional crafts, Wegner the son of the local shoemaker, grew up familiar with the environment and tools used in his father’s workshop.
At an early age he proved to be a competent watercolourist and developed an interest in nature, carving small pieces in wood using knives borrowed from his fathers workshop.
At the age of 14, Wegner began an apprenticeship as a cabinetmaker in the workshop of the Master of Craftsmen, H. F. Stahlberg.
In his spare time he became a frequent visitor to the local Museum of Art and was fascinated by the collection of fine porcelain figurines by the Swedish artist Theodor Lundberg.
When in the late 1920’s a large house was demolished near his home, the young Wegner acquired several large pieces of oak. From these he duplicated several of Lundberg’s figures including the largest, Wave and Rock, carved with surprising accuracy and proportion.
With hindsight when studying these three-dimensional sculptures they demonstrate the skills and understanding of of proportion and space Wegner later employed in creating the Round Chair.
After years of successful cooperation throughout the 1960’s, Wegner draws his first chair for PP Møbler, PP 203, which is launched in May 1969. An important reason for Wegner’s recognition is PP Møbler’s uncompromising attitude to quality and materials.
One anecdote goes that Wegner was not too concerned about the perfection of the lower frame for The Teddy Bear Chair, since most was to be covered by upholstery. Ejnar responded by stating that the journeymen also needed to find pride in their craft. Besides, the company would not send second-rate craftsmanship on the market.
(See also eXXperiments).
Cooperating with Wegner, PP Møbler embark on a new, constructive expansion period in the beginning of the 70’s.
The company expanded the joining workshop with 400 m2 in 1972. This was the fourth expansion. The second took place in 1961, with 400 m2 being added to the machine workshop, and the third in 1965 where all buildings were integrated making the company work under one roof.
By 1972 it is a busy year for the workshop, and they take over several Wegner models from Andreas Tuck. The company’s production rises to the extent where the first full-time salesman, Gerhard Olsen, is hired.